Sunday, May 30, 2010

With joy. Always with joy.

Hello, readers.

I love Neil Gaiman. I also love Ray Bradbury. It also happens I love good coffee, curiously curly hair, and lost moons, but that's neither here nor there.

What's important is this article Neil Gaiman wrote about Ray Bradbury. Having just finished reading it, my general opinion of the world, existence, and other such things, is hovering somewhere between fantastic and not too bad.

That's what happens when writers you love write about loving other writers you love. It's a love-ocalypse.

Yes, I did just say that. No, it doesn't really make sense.

In other news, Lost ended, and I watched it, and it may, or may not, have made sense, but making sense has never been a requirement for me when it comes to narratives involving polar bears and time travel. While watching it, I had thoughts about things.

Here's a few.

1) Okay.

2) Sure.

3) Really?

4) It occurs to me, that Lost is not written with the sort of tight, witty, brilliance of some shows. It's written, I think, more like The Odyssey, or Indiana Jones, or maybe even, to some extent, as something like Star Wars. It's big and mythic and unwieldy and prone to tripping over its own ambitions in the pursuit of cheesy, spectacular melodrama.*

5) But on the other hand, it's always been about people more than anything else: who they are and why they do what they do, and, in that sense, it's a small show about small moments like two people's hands touching around a candy bar. And so, the alterna-flashes always worked for me, because it was just another way to focus on who the characters were, like putting mice in a different habitat and seeing how they behave different, and how they behave the same.*

6) And now there's crying.

6) "There is no here...now." is perfect. Very Slaughterhouse Five, very Faulknerian as Barry Hannah would say, and very much what Lost, with its wibbly wobbly time has been saying for six seasons.

7) The closing shot is perfecter. Yay.

And now, here are pictures of Gandalf, the alien from Alien, and children.








Happy Sunday, readers.


ttfn.


p.s. Thoughts 4 and 5 are taken from an email written to someone I love, and so, technically, it's cheating to include them in the list of thoughts had while watching the show.

p.p.s. Except that everything is happening all of the time, so really I've always thought those things about Lost, even before Lost existed.

p.p.p.s. Nothing here makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment