Thursday, March 4, 2010

Joy.

Hello, readers.

Go here, read what people have to say about Barry Hannah. Especially, Michael Bible.

Here's a quote:

"He [Barry] wanted us to be better writers, but I think more he wanted us to be better humans, to laugh more, to try for joy. He used that word at lot. I think it was his favorite word. Joy. But he told us how hard joy was to get and keep. That you had to fight for joy and defend it from the haters of our world."

Barry was a tender-hearted mad genius bastard, readers. If you didn't know him, he still loved you.

In other news, it's Thursday night here in Korea. The rain has past. Still a bit wet out, though. I'm sitting in my room, listening to the Rolling Stones and the drifting conversations of the smoking people gathered in the courtyard two stories down. Earlier, roommates and friends and I practiced karaoke with "Total Eclipse of the Heart."

It was a bit of joy.

It's surprisingly like a musical here, really.

For example, today we teachers were split into six groups, and within those groups, we demo-ed lessons as though our fellow teachers were students. We got to play tic-tac-toe and telephone and sometimes speak and repeat dialogue.

"Will you buy a pizza?"

"Yes, I will buy a pizza?"

Maybe this doesn't seem like a musical to you, but you weren't there. We teachers have a lot of rhythm.

Sidenote: It's become apparent to me that teaching English may lower by vocabulary a bit.

A friend has a review up at Bookslut of Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty, a poetry collecty by Tony Hoagland.

I think I will learn Taekwando while I'm in Korea. Seems like as good a time as any to become one with the universe.

Here's a picture of Yoda.


I brought him in case of emergency or adventure. He's cool like that.

Happy Thursday, readers.


ttfn.

No comments:

Post a Comment